Login with Facebook

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Import Configuration from NNMi 8.X to 9.x : Part 1

In this article I am just giving example of on of the configuration setting that can be exported from NNMi 8.x to NNMi 9.x
Node Groups “nodegroup.xml” file contains nodegroup information in XML format, in NNMi 9.x there one more attribute is needed in the xml file which is not part of the export details
<ns2:calculateStatus>true</ns2:calculateStatus>
Open in Wordpad nodegroup.xml
From edit menu –> replace
in find what <ns2:additionalNodes/>  and in replace with write <ns2:additionalNodes/> <ns2:calculateStatus>true</ns2:calculateStatus>
SNAG-0030

Note: I have used find and replace (as stated above "to search for and to replace it with the same tag plus the line needed" )to make it easy in adding the tag as bere the example below I have highlighted this line just to clarify that this is the only addition needed.
<ns2:nodeGroup>
            <ns2:addToPerfSPIReports>true</ns2:addToPerfSPIReports>
            <ns2:addToViewFilterList>true</ns2:addToViewFilterList>
            <ns2:additionalNodes/> <ns2:calculateStatus>false</ns2:calculateStatus>             <ns2:children/>
            <ns2:filterExpressions/>
            <ns2:name>APC (American Power Conversion)</ns2:name>
            <ns2:nodeDeviceFilters>
                <ns2:item>
                    <ex:ref>
                        <ex:key>40e2ab16-e401-492f-88e0-88f81cb0c6c9</ex:key>
                        <ex:type>com.hp.ov.nms.monitoring.groups.model.NodeDeviceFilter</ex:type>
                    </ex:ref>
                </ns2:item>
            </ns2:nodeDeviceFilters>
            <ns2:parents/>
            <ns2:type>USER</ns2:type>
            <ns2:uuid>74e4ddba-9e82-4e91-a660-9b8f6fe4c267</ns2:uuid>
        </ns2:nodeGroup>
nnmconfigimport.ovpl -u system -p password -f nodegroup.xml

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you had any luck importing the user account info? I'm getting an error indicating that it could not execute JDBC batch update, I wonder if there is a similar problem like you found with the NodeGroups.

Mahmoud Ibrahim said...

You can sent the users file and I can compare it with 9's version and I will update you.
mahibrahim@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Interestingly I'm not even able to import it between two version 9 systems.

Mahmoud Ibrahim said...

Try to remove sections for the builtin users like system
To be able to know it export the files from the destination server

Unknown said...

got it. I had manually created an account with the same name on each machine, when I deleted that account (and user principal) the import was successful. Note, the "system" account is not a part of the export.

I'm attempting now an import of node groups. Are you suggesting only one find/replace with:

"
in find what and in replace with write true
"
What is the code below the picture referencing?

Mahmoud Ibrahim said...

I have update the article so check the Note added under the picture.

Unknown said...

:-)

Unknown said...

interesting, I followed your suggestion for modifying the nodegroup.xml but still get an error:

Configuration Import Error:
The element 'calculateStatus' violated the minimum allowed; expected 1 but found 0


I've tried this with and without the modification and get the same result.

Mahmoud Ibrahim said...

This error what I made this article for.
May be you have to save the file, believe me it happens :)

Unknown said...

Well, here's what I found. Any node groups that had devices specifically defined through the "Additional Nodes" tab would not work. When I removed those specific nodes (but did not delete the nodegroup) then I received teh "could not execute JDBC batch update" like I did with the accounts import. I then deleted all node groups except "Important Nodes" (it won't let you delete that one) and the import was successful. Only problem is, now I have to manually add those specific nodes.

Anonymous said...

Can you also please help to migrate incident configuration from 8i to 9i. It would be really appreciable.

Post a Comment